The town of Kemberg, 16 km south of Lutherstadt Wittenberg, marks the northern gateway to the Düben Heath Nature Park. The St. Marien Church with its tower of 86 meters in height is one of the most important neo-Gothic works of church architecture in Saxony-Anhalt and the highlight of the town’s beautiful historic center. With the nearby lake Bergwitzsee and the Düben Heath, Kemberg offers a lovely surrounding area waiting to be explored.
Image: © H. Beck
Kemberg forms the center of the municipality that was created in 2010 by merging 14 independent municipalities. In the past, the town has been influenced in particular by the numerous personalities living and working there. The Protestant provost Nikolaus von Riesenburg of Kemberg, for example, oversaw the office of the German Emperor Karl IV at the outgoing 14th century.
In the 16th century, Kemberg townspeople joined the Reformation movement of Martin Luther early on. Just four years after Luther’s posting of his Theses, in 1521, the Kemberg provost Bernhardi, a friend of Luther’s, was one of the first church dignitaries to get married.
The fact that it was mostly church dignitaries influencing the history of Kemberg is still visible in the historic townscape. Accordingly, the St. Marien Church shapes the town’s historic center even today. On a walk through the town, one will discover even more architectural sights, like the Saxon post milestone, or the former military hospital of the Kemberg garrison, a monumental Late Classicist solid building, nowadays used as an administrative building.
After a discovery tour through the historic town, a short foray to the Bergwitzsee will bring you relaxation. We are looking forward to your visit!
Getting there by bike
Adventure route Coal | Steam | Light
Berlin-Leipzig Bike Path
Getting there by public transport
RB Halle-Berlin, Bergwitz train station
Getting there by car
B2 Wittenberg-Bad Düben
Thanks to flooding the former open-cast mine, a landscape wounded by coal mining has been transformed into a 1.8 km² beautiful lakeland near Wittenberg. Today, Lake Bergwitzsee invites to a variety of leisure and recreation facilities such as sailing, diving and fishing.
Founded in 1874, the region’s oldest pottery provides an insight into the craft of this time. Highlight is the still preserved pottery building.
Kirche St. Marien
Waldhaus am Bergwitzsee