Historical town hall with market square
The Schmalkaldic War of 1547 destroyed many Coswig buildings, among them the town hall. In 1560, prince Wolfgang commissioned a new one constructed in the Renaissance style. The ornate sandstone portal and the mighty freestanding oak column in the entrance area (plus some other elements) have survived from these times. The 1912 extension defined the current appearance of the building. Around 1937, Berlin architect Hans Dustmann redesigned the council hall. The building’s tower received the town’s coat of arms and a sundial around 1969. Further major works took place in 1976, the year of the redesign of the registry office and the mayor’s room, and in 2006, when the western wing’s facade was renovated.
Today, the town hall houses the citizens’ office, the town information, the mayor’s office, the finance department, the residents’ registration office and the registry office.