Company town Piesteritz
From 1916 to 1919, the New Building movement of the early 20th century left impressive traces in Piesteritz, which became a part of Wittenberg in 1951.
The housing estate of the former nitrogen works feels remarkably urban and was once home to over 1,000 inhabitants, ranging from industrial workers to factory managers. Strong, modern interiors and attention to detail make it a textbook of urban planning and of New Objectivity turned into stone.
Since its renovation, completed in time for the Expo 2000, this architectural-historical ensemble, a symbol of modernism, once again shines in its old glory. It is now also Germany’s first car-free housing estate.
Smack in the center of Piesteritz, the Piesteritzer Hof is the beating heart of this flourishing garden city. Designed by Swiss architect Salvisberg as a department store, it later on became a cultural center. Today, following a restoration with a strong emphasis on details, the Piesteritzer Hof takes turns serving as a hotel, a bar and a conference/event location.
06886 Lutherstadt Wittenberg