Port of Aken (Elbe)
The port of Aken looks back on over 120 years of history and developed from a reloading point with a focus on bulk goods to a trimodal interface for freight services in the central German region. From 1992 to 2006, the port terminals were renovated and extended at great expense. Today, the Hafenbetrieb Aken GmbH operates a container terminal, a bulk terminal and a heavy cargo terminal boasting the highest stationary load capacity in the Elbe region.
All terminals are trimodal and enable transport chains involving barges, trains and trucks. For container traffic towards the hinterland, a barge service to Hamburg exists. Shipping via container trains is also an option. Covered and paved storage and assembly areas and a hazardous goods area are nearby. The industrial area Aken-Ost connects to the DB AG network via the port railroad.
On July 11, 1889, the director of the Hafen und Lagerhaus AG, Franz Weißenborn from Weimar, signed a contract with the magistrate of the town of Aken for the 99-year right of use of a site earmarked for the construction of a port. This port proved of great economic importance for the town, whose economic upswing was further strengthened by the Aken-Köthen railroad connection, inaugurated in 1890. The expansion of the railroad increased traffic on the Elbe and also the amount of cargo handled in the port. In 1938, a massive storage facility went into operation. At the end of 1944, port operations came to an almost complete standstill. The company continued with only a very small workforce.