Printing Museum Gräfenhainichen
The “black art” has a long tradition in Gräfenhainichen. In the “Buchdruckmuseum,” visitors learn about the local printing history. The exhibition comprising various machines once used for the printing and binding of books is worth seeing.
The Berlin-Wittenberg-Bitterfeld-Halle provincial highway from around 1820 and the Wittenberg-Bitterfeld railroad line of 1859 made Gräfenhainichen a conveniently located place. Still, printed matter had to be produced outside of town; this changed in 1874 with the establishment of the first local printing house.
Philosopher Jürgen Helbig founded the Buchdruckmuseum (originally housed in Oranienbaum Castle, moved to Gräfenhainichen in 1992) on the occasion of the International Gutenberg Year 1968. The museum also commemorates Carl-Heinrich Schulze (1837-1905), the pioneer of the Gräfenhainichen printing trade.
In the museum, visitors learn about the history of printing in our town and marvel at various machines once used for printing and bookbinding. The museum is in the town library.